Skip to main content

Did Rigan Machado knowingly promote a sexual predator to black belt? if not, who did?

You may recall my post almost four years ago about Austin Texas jiu jitsu instructor Paul Saucido, convicted of two counts of indecent exposure and one of unlawful restraint, stemming from twice sexually penetrating a nonconsenting woman in 2009... at the time of my first post, he was a brown belt under Rigan Machado and was trying to teach women's self defense seminars at his new school in East Austin.

I also posted about it on MMAUnderground.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/metv_producer_faces_sex_assault_charges was the original link.  It's so old, it's down, but still preserved on the Wayback Machine here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20111101073146/http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/metv_producer_faces_sex_assault_charges

http://austinvida.com/city-culture/2011/saucid-probation-sex-offender/
Wayback version: https://web.archive.org/web/20160917124303/http://www.austinvida.com/city-culture/2011/saucid-probation-sex-offender/

And the Texas state website: https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/SexOffender/PublicSite/Application/Search/Individual.aspx?IND_IDN=12321661

In my original  post I was happy to share that his instructor and former employer Rigan Machado was disavowing any connection with Paul, not teaching seminars for him and generally distancing himself from this inserter-of-a-penis-into-a-woman's-sex-organ-without-her-effective-consent (for those apologists who objected to me calling him a rapist since the 2009 offenses he plead guilty to in 2011 were unlawful restraint and indecent exposure.)

But until this afternoon, Paul bragged that Rigan promoted him to black belt.  Here's a screen grab from the morning of March 20, 2017. Second sentence.





Wait... this was Rigan's stance at the time:



This was Carlos' position:




Fortunately both Carlos and Rigan reacted promptly to my original version of this blog post. Whatever they did, by this afternoon, Paul's website was changed:

http://www.zenfitaustin.com/instructors/bio/id/169


My understanding is that Carlos Machado has no affiliation with either Paul or Rigan, according to Lindsay Machado, Carlos' wife, and a written signed statement by Carlos.














Rigan also prepared a statement:





 It seems, and I hope, that Paul was lying for the obvious credibility boost of being a Rigan Machado blackbelt.



Here's what I do know.  He's teaching girls and their moms. Does mom know you're a registered sex offender? August 2013.


October 2013.


February 2014.

 
July 2014.


November 2014 with Rigan. No relationship, no ties.



And here in January 2015, he has his black belt. 
 

September 2016 he's promoting students to brown.


October 2016 he was promoting a Rigan seminar (that link no longer works so I cannot confirm if it was a seminar Paul hosted or just promoted.)


January 2017 he's presenting at least two instructors at his academy as Rigan blackbelts.  Maybe visitors? (Screen grab from 3/20/17.)
 


Why do I care? I have no financial stake in this-- I'm not an instructor, don't own an academy. Don't even train any more while I recover from some surgeries.  I have no personal animus towards Paul (despite the rumor that we had a relationship, it was never more than casual acquaintanceship, and I think he came and trained at the Relson school in Austin with us once or twice.) Well, other than my disgust that he forced himself on a woman passed out drunk at his own birthday party. He refused to give her her panties back because "she wouldn't want a reminder of that night." I'll bet.

I care about women (and men) who have survived an assault and come to jiu jitsu seeking safety, empowerment, healing and prevention. I care about people who seek to prevent being assaulted. And I think they should know who their instructor is. If Rigan didn't promote Paul then who did? and why? why afford such a position of respect and power to a predator?

Let Paul make his living wherever, however... but I want his students to be aware. To have the privilege of knowing consent that his survivor that night in 2009 didn't.



Comments

  1. yes he is promoting sexual things thats why i recommend you go and get you bjj gi and jiu-jitsu Dummies .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smooth to the touch and remarkably realistic in both feel and form. This remarkably well-made MMA Grappling DummiesMMA Grappling DummiesGrappling Dummy BJJ features not only sturdy and durable construction, but also a large and life like size that can be stuffed with an array of possible filling options to create the look, and the bulk, that you prefer to workout with during training sessions. Ideal for practicing your ground work, takedowns, leg moves and more; with each workout you spend working with grappling dummy bubba will quickly transform your practice time with an actual partner. An incredible workout tool that really makes a difference in your moves, this mma grappling dummy with handles boasts an upright form and is designed to take a punch with ease over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo is unique Bjj jiu jitsu apparel clothing store. Our collection go beyond bjj Gear include BJJ Rash Guards, Jiu Jitsu belts, BJJ shorts and much more.
    You can also visit : Bravo Jui Jitsu

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enormous jiu jitsu class makes it into the Guinness Book! And personal update...

I found an article about the top ten coolest martial arts records in the Guinness book, and one of them dealt with jiu jitsu-- the largest BJJ class ever.  Thought you might be interested! I haven't trained hardly at all in the last 3 months. I swear I'm going back but it's been so hard with my work schedule. I am going to ask for an extended lunch so I can go to the noon class.  I get off at four p.m. and evening class starts at seven, so it's just hard to motivate myself to stay at work late, and my house is the opposite direction from the academy (with work in the middle.) So I know I'm making excuses, but... there it is. Edited to add: Thanks y'all for your words of encouragement and support! I was approved for a 2 hour lunch, hooray! Yeah, given that I prefer coming in to work at the obscenely early hour of 530-6am, there was no possibility of doing the morning class. And going to the academy to roll or drill for an hour or two before class at night wasn&#

Brown butter ginger snap cookies

I'm going to experiment with this cookie which I just found on Pinterest. I think it can be made softer and richer, and I'm going to try my chocolate chip cookie technique of using more, melted butter, two eggs and two egg yolks, and more brown sugar than white. Let me know what you think.. Ingredients 2 2/3 cup all purpose flour 2 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, browned and brought back to room temperature 1 cup granulated sugar 1/3 light brown sugar, packed 2 large eggs, at room temperature 1/4 cup molasses (mild, not blackstrap) 1/2 teaspoon orange zest *extra sugar for sprinkling (coarse sugar works great here, but granulated will do the job) Instructions To make the dough: In a large bowl whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Place butter in a small sauté pan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring frequent